|May 7 - 16, 2006|
There are maps at the bottom of the page which are enlargements of those above.
This page is divided into 2 sections, one of the Settlement Museum, the other into the actual First Permanent English Settlement in the U.S.
This was in continual use from 1600 until approx. 1700. Did Pocahontas really marry John Smith?
Click on photo to see the settlements.
This station was moved to it's present location because of land erosion around 2000. It is one of the most recognized lighthouses in the U.S.
Click on photo to see the the station.
This is most interesting to know they flew the plane 4 times on the first day before wrecking it. A most enjoyable and enlightening tribute to the "Fathers of Flight". From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in just over 65 years. Not a bad legacy.
Click on photo to see the the National Park.
Currituck Light House
Located at the northern section of the Outer Banks, this lighthouse is helpful to both those in the Atlantic Ocean as well as to those in Currituck Sound. An interesting lighthouse as it is not painted a scheme but left in it's natural bricks.
Click on photo to see the the view.
MAPS With directions and highlights
The line of land on the right is the Outer Banks, which are actually a series of islands. Starting here at the top going down, is the Currituck Beach Lighthouse (written in red). Going further down the island is Kitty Hawk, and to the left of the road is the Wright Brothers National Memorial (also written in red) which is not really in Kitty Hawk but in Kill Devil Hills. Continuing down is Nags Head where we stayed.
Going across the bridge to the right is Roanoke Island where Ft. Raleigh National Historic Site is located (also written in red), which is actually the Lost Colony, home of the first white people, of which all disappeared in the 1500's. Going even further south down to the "Dog Leg" in the island is Cape Hatteras Lighthouse (also written in red).
Jamestown was established about 1600 and was in continual service until about 1700 when all the people decided to get off the island and move to the area around the College of William and Mary to a growing settlement named Williamsburg. The island is down the left side of the map in the lower corner. The National Park Service maintains the original settlement area, but there has been a recreated Jamestown Settlement Museum on the mainland.